The Magic Whack

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Why do magicians like Eugene Burger?

I just saw some video footage of Eugene Burger. Is that guy appauling or what? He does this sponge ball trick and after some well worn gags involving a squeaker he does the normal sponge ball crap and then says "I hide them in my beard haaaahaaaa". As he says that he reaches behind his beard and comes out with a ball that was previously in finger palm. Why fucking bother? He doesn't need to palm it in - he could really hide the balls in his beard.

He always goes for simple methods, which is fair enough, but taking a simple trick and telling some bullshit story, throwing flash paper about, stroking his beard and looking wierd doesn't make for good entertainment.

I just don't get what the attraction is for magicians. He's just a big guy with a beard who does mediocre magic. His books are no better, in fact 'books' in plural is a bit of a stretch, lets be real, he's published the same material at least three times over - a load of terrible theory.

I wouldn't have so much of an issue if he was just a performer, but he lectures to magicians, has DVD's out, etc.

Maybe I am missing something? Is it only me who doesn't see what he brings to the magical art?

MW.

1 Comments:

  • Hi.
    From Argentina here.
    Couldn't agree more.
    I think this is the key to everything: I call it interhype.
    Max Mave hypes Burger, Burger Max Maven and Bill Malone, Malone hypes Maven, Burger, and Joshua Jay, Joshua Jay talks about Jeff McBride, who has a magic school with Burger, and so on, and on,
    That's the only secret.

    KR

    Daniel de Urquiza
    AltaCartomagia
    Argentina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home